|NEWS • AWARDS||JOIN THE USBWA • THE TIPOFF||ABOUT US • FAQ • HOME|
|FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS|
Some answers to common questions about the U.S. Basketball Writers Association, its member benefits and award programs. If you don't see the answer to your question, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the USBWA
• Eligibility: The U.S. Basketball Writers Association is open to all accredited members of the media and members of schools and organizations directly affiliated with college basketball. Although we are the basketball writers, editors, radio and television broadcasters, publicists and even photographers are eligible to join. Please note that all applications are subject to the approval of the board of directors and the USBWA cannot guarantee that any paid dues will be refunded if your application is rejected. For new members, we encourage you to indicate if you were recommended by a colleague on your application. For questions about eligibility, contact Malcolm Moran (814-574-1485 or email@example.com).
• Dues: Annual dues are $50 and are payable with your application. Dues for retired members are $25 and students are eligible for reduced dues of $25. Generally, the USBWA opens its application process each year on the second Monday in April. For dues payment, the USBWA accepts major credit cards (through PayPal.com) and checks. Please do not send cash. For more information about joining the USBWA or to renew your membership, click here.
Partnering with the USBWA
• Founded in 1956, the USBWA has now grown to a record 900 members. With that growth, the USBWA has also been able to advance and support its member benefit and awards programs through partnerships and sponsorships above and beyond funds from membership dues. If you have interest in supporting the USBWA and any of its programs through sponsorships or partnerships, contact Executive Director Malcom Moran (814-574-1485 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ted Gangi (214-909-9314 or email@example.com).
• Member Directory: The college basketball media "bible" is revised and edited each summer in time for the season. In order to ensure that you are included in the directory, you must pay your dues by Oct 1. The USBWA prints only a limited number of books. The directory is generally mailed to the membership in mid- to late November. If you pay your dues after Oct. 1, you are not guaranteed to be listed, nor can you be guaranteed to receive the directory in time for the start of the season. The USBWA does its best to ensure that all members get a copy of the directory in a timely fashion, regardless of when dues are paid. No member will receive a directory until dues are paid. For questions about the directory, its contents and distribution, contact Executive Director Malcolm Moran (814-574-1485 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
• The Tipoff: The association's newsletter is produced five times per year and posted to the website and distributed in print to members via Basketball Times. A printable .pdf version of each newsletter is available and a limited number of printed newsletters are mailed. The Tipoff generally features a column from the USBWA president and a recap of the latest news. An archive of The Tipoff dating back to 2001 is available on the website. For questions about The Tipoff, its contents and distribution, contact Editor John Akers (email@example.com).
• NEW! Brooks Brothers Corporate Membership Card: All USBWA members have the opportunity to enroll for the Brooks Brothers Corporate Membership Card. This benefit was initiated to provide you with enjoyable incentives and an every day 15 percent savings when shopping for your wardrobe needs. As a Brooks Brothers Corporate Member, you will receive an every day 15 percent savings on regular price merchandise at Brooks Brothers U.S. and Canadian stores, by phone and online at BrooksBrothers.com. For complete information on how to activate the Brooks Brothers Coporate Membership Card program, visit the Member Center.
• NEW! American Airlines BusinessExtrAA: The USBWA now has a BusinessExtrAA account. The association's participation in the program will allow it to accumulate points to be used for travel by USBWA officers to sanctioned events (annual meetings, CoSIDA Convention, etc.) The member benefit will be selected discounts offered by American Airlines for air travel to major events and meetings. All you need to do is add the USBWA account number (832783) to your personal AAdvantage profile. To do that, follow these simple steps:
• Hertz Corporate Discount Plan (CDP) Card: As a member of the USBWA, you are entitled to discounts offered by Hertz. To take advantage of the discounts, simply enter the USBWA's CDP code (1646337) when you make your reservation. Hertz no longer prints CDP cards, but you may download your card from the USBWA website. The card also includes codes for additional discounts. If you are a Hertz #1 Club member, you can enter the CDP code in your profile so you don't have to manually enter it each time you make a reservation. For questions about the Hertz CDP Card, contact Ted Gangi (214-909-9314 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Basketball Times: USBWA members receive a complimentary digital subscription to Basketball Times, "The Real Voice of Collegiate Basketball" for over 25 years. Widely read by coaches, administrators and basketball media, Basketball Times combines award-winning writing with incredible amounts of inside information. With a stable of writers and personalities that includes USBWA members Bob Ryan and Dick "Hoops" Weiss, BT not only discusses the shape of basketball, it's fair to say it shapes basketball as well. From the high schools to the colleges at all levels and the pros, BT introduces you to today's people aiming to be tomorrow's stars. For information about Basketball Times, contact Editor John Akers (email@example.com).
• Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week presented by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook
• Best Writing Contest: Each year the association conducts a best writing contest open to all active USBWA members. Generally, the contest includes five categories for stories written in the 12-month period between May 1 and April 30. Cash and other prizes are awarded to the winners and up to four runners-up in each category at the annual USBWA business meeting on site at the NCAA Men's Final Four. Click here for contest rules and entry information and for further questions about the Best Writing Contest, contact Malcolm Moran.
OSCAR ROBERTSON TROPHY •
HENRY IBA AWARD •
WAYMAN TISDALE AWARD •
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
KATHA QUINN AWARD • DEAN SMITH AWARD • RISING STAR AWARD • MOST COURAGEOUS • WOMEN'S HONORS • HALL OF FAME • WRITING CONTEST
|Copyright , U.S. Basketball Writers Association > P.O. Box 257, Zionsville, IN 46077 | sportswriters.net | Join the USBWA | Contact Us|
|Follow @USBWA||Follow @TheBigOTrophy||Follow @TisdaleAward|