ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball
Writers Association has selected Oregon’s
Dillon Brooks as its Oscar Robertson National Player of
the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Jan. 31. The
USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College
As the Pac-12 Conference Player of the Week, Brooks was
nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a
representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of
Division I conference players of the week. This is the seventh
season that the USBWA has selected a national player of the
Brooks, a 6-7 sophomore forward from Mississauga, Ont., led
16th-ranked Oregon to its first road sweep of the Pac-12’s
Arizona schools since 2012, and first sweep for a Pac-12 school
in Arizona in four years. He averaged 21 points on 50 percent
shooting (15 of 30). He scored 24 points on 10 of 19 shooting in
the Ducks’ 83-75 win over then No. 18 Arizona. The win snapped
the Wildcats’ 49-game home winning steak, which led the nation.
Brooks had 18 points and six rebounds in Oregon’s 91-74 win at
Brooks leads Oregon in scoring at 16.6 points per game.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University
of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year
Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only
one named after a former player.
At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists
for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership. The winner
of the Oscar Robertson Trophy will be presented
at the College Basketball Awards on April 11, 2016,
at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City.
The Henry Iba Coach of the Year Award and the
Integris Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award
will also be presented at the gala to be held annually following
the NCAA Men's Final Four.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive
college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 35th
season. Blue Ribbon – long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball"
– gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations
of every Division I team in the country. For more information about
Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2015-16 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 13: Javan Felix, Texas (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 20: Kay Felder, Oakland (Horizon League)
• Week ending Dec. 27: Buddy Hield, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 3: Kris Dunn, Providence (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 10: Buddy Hield, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 17: Jack Gibbs, Davidson (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 24: Jakob Poeltl, Utah (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 31: Dillon Brooks, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 7: Ryan Anderson, Arizona (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 14: Austin McBroom, Eastern Washington (Big Sky Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 21: Johnathan Motley, Baylor (Big 12 Conference)